So before we dig deeper into how to develop a social app, there are two important things to keep in mind and understand:
- The first thing is that there are different kinds of social apps . Many people confuse the term social media app with social network app. There is no doubt that they do have a lot of features in common, however, it is very important to distinguish these terms because the process of developing them is slightly different.
• Social Network Apps are all about mutual communication with others. Some great examples are Snapchat and Whatsapp.
- The second thing you have to deal in regards to how to create a social media app is that you have to learn what’s on the market nowadays and why you should create a social networking app. A trending element on the market is a new business opportunity for most companies no matter how big or small they are. Reaching out to clients and customers to develop a content-marketing strategy to sell the offered product or service is a common practice. Think of Facebook, Telegram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Instagram. Their philosophies are different, but their features are common: profile creation, connections and groups, feed, private messaging, photo and video content creation.
Let’s start! The process of social app development consists of three large units: the technical part, which is the heart of building the app, designing part that creates the aesthetic perception, and the marketing part, which is essential in order to reach out to users. We’ll help you to look into those three parts , while dealing with how to develop a social media app.
How to make a Social Media App?1. Backend
To create a social media app, you should choose a platform that'd help you accelerate the software development process.The backend usually includes the parts that perform the work, which the final users don’t see . It includes the API, databases, ADM Portal, etc. The time it will take you depends on how complex your app will be.
- For Android
• Take a moment and dig deeper into Android Development and related topics
• Then learn SQL and JSON Parsing
• Other languages include Python and Ruby
- For iOS
• Read more about iOS Development
• Learn SQL for iOS and JSON Parsing
You may ask, “Is there an easy way?” Well, if you don’t want to waste a lot of money, you can learn alone with the help of online courses. However, you can also hire professional social media app developers who can teach you.
The cost of social media app development depends on its complexity in functionality, design and user interaction. The minimum cost of social network development is approximately $35 000 if you hire an expert. However, don't be discouraged because there are so many other opportunities to contact a social media app development company for various partnerships. Your cost is proportional to the platform you select. The more devices and operating systems your app supports, the more testings it will need.
- Define your app philosophy. What do you want to implement? How will the final outcome look like?
- Determine the target audience and what will attract them to use your app. While developing a social media app, it’s important to know the need and desires of your potential users
2 FrontendFrontend mainly contains the parts of the project the users interact with. The interface can be mobile or web, or both. Some good platforms to learn more about web development and web programming are Udacity, Codecademy or EdX. Frontend also includes the following parts for social media app development:
- Profiles. Most social media applications are profile-centered, so it is valuable to include background colors, theme settings, photo filters, bio and links to personal blogs or websites.
- Design. Sketching the basics of the future app and then wireframing them to create the structure is essential in the design process. Defining your app basic colors and unique style is also important. Prototyping the app will help you and your target audience to understand the philosophy of the app.
- Connections. Establishing new connections is very important to users. But how do you make a social networking app within it? Well, there are several ways to do that:
• By Groups. It can be business company, nonprofit organization or simply a group of friends, classmates, etc.
• By Events. Sending event invitation is very very important. People usually want to keep in touch after different conferences, meetings or weddings.
• By Social Networks. By Address Books.
• By Search or by Recommendations.
- Messaging. Chat, voice or video messaging are very essential parts of social media application development. And they are trendy!
How to make a Networking AppBuilding a social network application is very similar to developing social media apps because their backend parts are very similar to the technical parts.However, there are some things you have to bear in mind when creating a social network app:
- Be very specific when you are considering your app philosophy and social network application development. You can research deeper and learn more about your competitors. Ask yourself what makes your app stand out from other apps. How will your app be useful to your audience? What’s your goal? Why are you unique? And what is the key aim of making the social network app?
- Your design should be simple and very comfortable to use. Thoroughly analyze your idea, draw your audience and take note of key indicators that will help guide your success.
- UX/UI. User Experience and User Interface Design are essential to understanding how your design influences customers' behavior and reactions. You can learn about this by taking online courses.
- Privacy and confidentiality are very important, especially for the messaging part. A social network app with careful consideration of users’ privacy will make your project more credible.
- Integration with other sources will make your app stronger and much more effective. Don’t be afraid to reach out to others.
There are certain quantitative metrics for social applications that will help you track and control your actions during the development of the social network apps and social media apps.
- Acquisition. Cost per Install (CPI) tracks the installs of clients that come from ads. CPI = Ad Costs / # app installs. Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC) indicates a viable business model and it is the total amount of all marketing efforts required to attract a user.
- User Activation determines the number of activated users.
- User Retention indicates the number of users that update the app. It helps to examine how users interact with updated changes
- Churn Rate is a number that shows how many users have deleted or stopped using the app.
- User Engagement demonstrates a number of target actions, which include Session Length and Interval.
- Traction helps to understand the demand for the app. It shows month to month growth in the number of users
- Burn Rate indicates the amount of money that is used for server cost, marketing, etc.
Overall, social application development requires hard work and passionate dedication from the very first day of its planning to the day it is launched. It is important to understand the market, interact with users and test various prototypes. Good luck!